WHAT ARE COOKIES
Cookies are small text files sent from the site to the terminal of the individual concerned (usually to the browser) where they are stored to be then transmitted back to the site on the next visit by the same user. A cookie cannot retrieve any other data from the user’s hard drive nor transmit computer viruses or capture email addresses. Each cookie is unique to the user’s web browser. Some of the functions of cookies can be delegated to other technologies. In this document, the term ‘cookie’ refers to both cookies, properly so called, and all similar technologies.
FIRST- OR THIRD-PARTY COOKIES
Cookies can be first-party or third-party, where “first-party” refers to cookies developed by the owner of the site itself, while “third-party” refers to cookies developed by parties other than the owner of the site.
NATURE OF COOKIES
Regarding the nature of cookies, there are different types:
Technical cookies are cookies used for the sole purpose of “carrying out the transmission of a communication over an electronic communications network, or as strictly necessary for the provider of an information society service explicitly requested by the contractor or user to provide that service” (see Art. 122, paragraph 1 of the Code). They are not used for further purposes and are normally installed directly by the owner or operator of the website. They can be divided into:
- navigation or session cookies, which ensure normal navigation and enjoyment of the website (allowing, for example, to make a purchase or authenticate to access restricted areas); they are in fact necessary for the proper functioning of the site;
- analytical cookies with anonymous user data (e.g. navigation IP), assimilated to technical cookies where used directly by the site operator to collect information, in aggregated form, on the number of users and how they visit the site itself, in order to improve the site’s performance;
- functionality cookies, which allow the user to navigate according to a series of selected criteria (for example, the language, the products selected for purchase) in order to improve the service rendered to the same. The prior consent of users is not required for the installation of such cookies. Below is a list of technical cookies installed on this site:
- pll_language: this cookie stores the language code of the last page visited. It is a first-party cookie and the expected retention period is 1 year (website reference: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Profiling cookies are used to relate to specific individuals, identified or identifiable, specific actions or recurrent behavioral patterns in the use of the functionalities offered (patterns) with the purpose of grouping the different profiles into homogeneous clusters of different breadth, so that it is also possible for the owner to modulate the provision of the service in an increasingly personalized way beyond what is strictly necessary for the provision of the service, as well as to send targeted advertising messages, that is, in line with the preferences expressed by the user within the network navigation.
In the case of third-party cookies, the site does not have direct control of the individual cookies and cannot control them (it cannot install them directly or delete them). However, you can still manage these cookies through your browser settings or the sites indicated in the “Acceptance and Waiver of Cookies” section.
This site does not use any profiling cookies.
DURATION OF COOKIES
Cookies have a duration dictated by the expiration date (or by a specific action such as closing the browser) set at the time of installation. Cookies can be:
- temporary or session cookies: are used to store temporary information, allow you to link actions performed during a specific session, and are removed from the computer when the browser is closed;
- permanent: are used to store information, such as the name and password for access, so that the user does not have to type them in again each time they visit a specific site. These remain stored on the computer even after closing the browser.
The so-called session cookies, once the connection to this website is terminated, are not preserved. The computer systems used for this site use temporary cookies.
ACCEPTANCE AND WAIVER OF COOKIES